Hair & Scalp Disorders
The Total Skin Center is an advanced and highly specialized center for diagnosing and treating rare and common hair and scalp disorders that affect adolescents and adults.
- Male & female pattern baldness
- Hair shedding (telogen effluvium)
- Alopecia areata (totalis/universalis)
- Scarring alopecia (lichen planopilaris, frontal fibrosing, central centrifugal)
- Hair loss related to autoimmune disorders or other diseases
- Hirsutism and hypertrichosis or excessive growth of the hair
Treatment for hair and scalp related diseases can vary considerably. Using comprehensive and state of the art techniques, a successful treatment plan will be designed for each patient both medical and or surgical.
We use the most advanced methods for diagnosing alopecia from a scalp biopsy.
Horizontally sectioned biopsies provide a wealth of information regarding the state of the hair follicles in patients with alopecia, yet few pathology laboratories perform this service. Horizontal sections are performed routinely at The Total Skin center.
Dr. Darling utilizes an even more advanced method called the vertical technique for diagnosing hair loss and other disorders from a scalp biopsy. The technique uses vertical testing approach that provides a greater amount of information to the referring physician.